One common questions we receive from our clients is „how much does it cost to build a web application?”
The web application development is a multi-stage process that takes a lot of time and effort. Each project requires varied approaches, tools, and team compositions. Thus, a lot of variables go into the web application development cost.
How much does it cost to develop a web application? Two major criteria define the cost of a web application:
1) The first major criteria are the complexity and labor intensity of the app; the more services it offers. And the more difficult its implementation, the higher the cost will be to build the app.
2) The second criterion is a performer; for example, if you live in the United States and order the app from local companies. The cost of outsourcing that development could be up to 2 or 3 times higher when compared to a specialist from Eastern Europe.
The web app development stages
If you want to develop a web application, it’s a good idea to take a step back and figure out what a development process consists of and why you should pay for each activity. The web application development usually has 5 stages:
1) Research and analysis: there is an interview with the client to discuss client’s vision, desired features, goals and other specifications. This is the stage where you build a wire frame and you write the functional documentation.
2) Design: this stage involves the design of user interface, experience, and various visual elements. The designers try to make the application to reflect the spirit of client’s brand.
3) Development: this stage includes the development of the front-end and the back-end of the application.
4) Testing: this is the word of Quality Assurance. After building your web application, test it to determine if it’s ready to be launched.
5) Deployment: you launch the product. You deploy your web application. Now, how do you actually get customers to use it? Remember an essential truth: marketing your app is as important as developing it.
Two methodologies to determine the probable cost of a web application
The first is based on functional specification created after detailed consultations with a client. Seems like this approach implies so-called waterfall model (analysis, design, constructing, testing, deployment, and maintenance) and allows to calculate necessary time and budget, but it doesn’t involve changes that will appear throughout the project. To make the calculations, the „three-point estimation technique” is used:
a = the best-case estimate
b = the most likely estimate
c = the worst-case estimate
You combine these to yield either a full probability distribution or summary descriptors of the distribution, such as the mean, standard deviation or percentage points of the distribution.
The second is based on user stories. Here, the client tells us what the final user of the application receives from the project. For a client, it means that the terms and budget discussed may be more flexible.
How much will an agency charge you for a custom web application?
You can predict the number in your request for proposal by identifying some common clues web application development companies tend to have in common. Bernard Kohan suggests breaking those down into the following classes:
- The „extravagant” class companies: This breed of companies typically sells their services only to a certain type of clients with a minimum project price tag starting at $200.000. Their developers can earn up to six figures annually and the average cost of a development project is around $500K.
- The „moderate” class companies: These are the smaller companies with around 10 to 80 people in the office, reasonable spending, and streamlined operations. Depending on their location, the hourly development rates fall into the $40-$150 range
- The „small” class companies: agencies with only 2-3 permanent employees including the company’s owner/partners. The development hourly wages range from $35-$180 depending on their location.
The physical location of the developers determines how much they are paid. As a result, the professionals living in countries with a higher cost of living tend to have higher salaries.
To hire a developer in USA, Canada, the UK, and Australia to make a web app, you pay $80-500/hour. Eastern Europe, Middle East, and South America come second with $30-110 per hour. Maybe the cheaper option is to hire developers from India for $10-80 per hour.
It’s no secret that freelance developers have lower rates than their counterparts employed at the biggest agencies in the field. Experienced developers tend to charge more for their services than the newcomers. The services of well-known companies can cost a lot due to brand recognition. Therefore, you have to look for a delicate balance between your budget and the reputation of the people you hire.
Why choose an Eastern Europe web development company?
Since building a successful web application is a long-term goal, choosing a right web developer becomes especially important. Do not look for the cheapest offer. Do not listen to promises to build you a website for 2 weeks. Try to find a company with good reputation, a number of successful projects, good references and, first of all, with understanding what you need.
First of all, as you can see different factors and decisions can decrease or increase the costs of development. That’s why it is very important that you discuss all the ins and outs of your dream project with the development team.
For example, Romanian developers are highly regarded and their mindset. Because it is very close to the Western world; they communicate very well in English, and they’re easily reachable by plane. It’s now known that Romanian is the second language spoken in the Microsoft offices around the world.
Finally, at 11Digits, we use the latest programming languages, innovative user experience, unique design and well-built marketing campaigns to create amazing, responsive and memorable websites that help businesses get more visible in their market.
If you’d like to get additional information, ask a question or want to know our rates do not hesitate to contact us. Turning ideas into reality is part of our everyday work. You want it, we web it.